Wednesday 12 October 2011

Week 9 and the hackers!


So as we know from the lecture and tutes in week 9, hackers are coming continuity more relevant in our lives as our society integrates the internet more and more into our everyday living. The fact that we are so venerable online to the “black hats” and relying on the hacking ethics of the “white hats” to help expose the possible weak spots is a little daunting for me personally. I feel that the amount of anonymity that is based around these people scares me. It seems that if u know what ur doing and are smart enough the internet world is at ur disposal, and you can cover your tracks and never be found. Then if you do end up getting caught for what ever bad ass shit, you can even score yourself a job. This also makes me wonder, if the person who got caught hacking the banks or what ever other big company then gets a job with them, they are the top of their game and are steps ahead of the person creating the security systems, what stops them from pretending to fix something and then going home and telling a mate how the system works exactly and then taking everything. I understand that alot of the hackers are about bragging rights and sticking it to the man, but still there are the scary guys like the people responsible for a virus like STUXNET, (check out the vid i have included) who are more like “cyber terrorist”. 



Personally I like that we have the hackers who sit in the middle, like Lulzsec and can be termed “grey hats” as they help expose the weak links and seem to be in it for laughs. All this stuff seems to be pretty much above my head so the best i can do is hope that i have a tidy anti virus program keeping that stuff under wraps, either that or go buy a beach pad and a surfboard in some remote island and throw my computer away. Seems much safer. 


2 comments:

  1. Great blog it kept me pretty entertained! It scares me as well to think that people can hack into the internet so easily just because they have the knowledge to. You never know if they are looking at stuff of yours although they are probably getting to the juicy stuff first. It's true that if they get caught out a lot of the time they do get offered a job. If I got caught out robbing a bank i'm pretty sure they wouldn't offer me a job. I know that's kind of an irrelevant analogy but it's almost the same principle. I guess internet companies thrive off this hacker knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the both of you. I get why they're hiring them, so they have control over the hackers, I guess it's better the devil you know. But what's to ensure they aren't making it easier, do these hackers have morals? Or are they just selling their skills to the highest bidder?

    It seems all a little dodge to me!

    ReplyDelete